Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Laura J's Roasted Beets

It's really easy - I break the greens off of them, just leaving about an inch of the stems on the top, wash them and wrap each individually with foil. I place them in a baking pan and cook at 450 for about 45 minutes and then check them - if they can be pierced easily with a fork they are done, if not, I'll give them 15 more minutes. Then I let them cool a bit, unwrap them and use a piece of paper towel - rub that over the skin/stems and it comes right off, really easily. I usually need to use one paper towel per beet.

I learned how to do this with my first CSA share a few years ago and made the best salad with them. I roasted and then chopped the beets and then just added one part of red wine vinegar, one part balsamic vinegar and one part olive oil. Mixed that and tossed it with the beets along with some diced onion and goat cheese and then served that over arugula with the beets still warm. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment